Welcome to the IEEE Communications Society Victorian Chapter
Welcome to the Victorian Chapter of the IEEE Communications Society. The Society is a diverse community of industry and academic professionals with a common interest in advancing communications technologies. Through publications, conferences, educational programs, local activities, and technical committees, the Society aims to:
- Foster original work in all aspects of communications science, engineering, and technology
- Encourage the development of applications that use signals to transfer voice, data, image, and/or video information between locations
- Promote the theory and use of systems involving all types of terminals, computers, and information processors; all pertinent systems and operations that facilitate transfer; all transmission media; switched and unswitched networks; and network layouts, protocols, architectures, and implementations.
- Strongly advance developments toward meeting new market demands in systems, products, and technologies such as personal communications services, multimedia communications systems, enterprise networks, and optical communications systems.
The Victorian Chapter consists of all IEEE Communications Society members who live in Victoria or Tasmania, Australia.
The main activities organised by the Chapter are talks, seminars, research collaborations, workshops, site visits and conferences. These events allow us to further our knowledge in the field as well as provide an opportunity to share ideas and network with our colleagues. The Chapter arranges presentations by local or visiting experts on topics of general interest for those working in or interested in communications.
The local Chapter Committee is a purely volunteer effort and currently consists of:
- Chair – Dr. Golnar Khomami (M)
- Vice Chair – Fithriyah Shalihah (M)
- Treasurer – Dr. Paul Fitzpatrick (SM)
- Secretary – Dr. Sathya Chandrasekharan (M)
- Dr. Jiong Jin (M)
- Prof. Leith Campbell (LM)
- Past Chair – Prof. Kandeepan Sithamparanathan
We meet on a monthly basis. Please contact the Chair or Vice Chair if you are interested in coming along to the meetings.
Membership of the IEEE Communications Society provides a range of benefits including:
- Access to the world’s leading communications magazines and journal publications
- Discounted access to leading communications conferences such as Globecom, Infocom, WCNC, ICC and a large range of medium and smaller sized conferences
- Involvement in technical committees to define and implement the technical directions of the Society
- Eligibility for awards and peer recognition
- Eligibility for student travel grants of US$1,000 for presenting at selected Society conferences outside the Asia Pacific region.